The Gator Board v2.0
Please login

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Gator Board v2.0
Please login
The Gator Board v2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» Game song (I didn't forget!)
Memorial Day  EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 8:42 am by CuylerLady

» Game day song (A day early)
Memorial Day  EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 9:40 am by CuylerLady

» Game day song (A day early)
Memorial Day  EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 9:09 pm by CuylerLady

» GATOR COUNTRY
Memorial Day  EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 11:35 am by CuylerLady

» Truth About Urban
Memorial Day  EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 8:17 am by ufg8rjim

» Monday's song
Memorial Day  EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 9:51 am by CuylerLady

» Friday's song
Memorial Day  EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 10:15 am by CuylerLady

» Wednesday's song
Memorial Day  EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 7:27 pm by CuylerLady

» Sound familiar?
Memorial Day  EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 9:14 am by ufg8rjim

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Memorial Day

3 posters

Go down

Memorial Day  Empty Memorial Day

Post by CuylerLady Mon May 27, 2013 9:34 am

Today, we pause and give thanks for those who served in the military, and recall those who never made it home, the ultimate sacrifice anyone can give for their country. I offer the song 'Taps', along with the history behind the song:

Day is done, gone the sun
From the lakes, from the hills, from the sky
All is well, safely rest
God is nigh.
Fading light dims the sight
And a star gems the sky, gleaming bright
From afar, drawing near
Falls the night.
Thanks and praise for our days
Neath the sun, neath the stars, neath the sky
As we go, this we know
God is nigh.

A musical piece sounded at dusk, and at funerals, particularly by the U.S. military, Taps is known the world over. It is sounded during flag ceremonies and funerals, generally on bugle or trumpet, and often at Boy Scout, Girl Scout and Girl Guide meetings and camps. The tune is also sometimes known as "Butterfield's Lullaby", or by the first line of the lyric, "Day is Done". The term originates from the Dutch term taptoe, meaning "close the (beer) taps (and send the troops back to camp)". "Military tattoo" comes from the same origin.The tune is actually a variation of an earlier bugle call known as the Scott Tattoo which was used in the U.S. from 1835 until 1860, and was arranged in its present form by the Union Army Brigadier General Daniel Butterfield, an American Civil War general and Medal of Honor recipient who commanded the 3rd Brigade of the 1st Division in the V Army Corps of the Army of the Potomac while at Harrison's Landing, Virginia, in July 1862 to replace a previous French bugle call used to signal "lights out". Butterfield's bugler, Oliver Wilcox Norton, of Angelica, New York, was the first to sound the new call. Within months, "Taps" was used by both Union and Confederate forces. It was officially recognized by the United States Army in 1874.

"Taps" concludes many military funerals conducted with honors at Arlington National Cemetery, as well as hundreds of others around the United States. The tune is also sounded at many memorial services in Arlington's Memorial Amphitheater and at grave sites throughout the cemetery. Captain John C. Tidball, West Point Class of 1848, started the custom of playing taps at military funerals. In early July 1862 at Harrison’s Landing, a corporal of Tidball’s Battery A, 2nd Artillery, died. He was, Tidball recalled later, “a most excellent man.” Tidball wished to bury him with full military honors, but, for military reasons, he was refused permission to fire three guns over the grave. Tidball later wrote, “The thought suggested itself to me to sound taps instead, which I did. The idea was taken up by others, until in a short time it was adopted by the entire army and is now looked upon as the most appropriate and touching part of a military funeral.” As Tidball proudly proclaimed, “Battery A has the honor of having introduced this custom into the service, and it is worthy of historical note.”

It became a standard component to U.S. military funerals in 1891. "Taps" is sounded during each of the 2,500 military wreath ceremonies conducted at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier every year, including the ones held on Memorial Day. The ceremonies are viewed by many people, including veterans, school groups, and foreign officials. "Taps" is also sounded nightly in military installations at non-deployed locations to indicate that it is "lights out".

This particular video shows members of the United States Navy Band, the Commodores, playing Taps. Bow your heads in silence, and give thanks and remembrance for all the men and women who've served our country.

CuylerLady

Back to top Go down

Memorial Day  Empty Re: Memorial Day

Post by He15man Tue May 28, 2013 2:23 am

Great song Mrs. C
He15man
He15man

Back to top Go down

Post by ufg8rjim Wed May 29, 2013 10:00 am

Timely.

One thing bothers me about Memorial Day. We are confusing it with Veteran's Day. While I appreciate the sentiment that so many offer to our troops, that is not at all what Memorial Day is about. Memorial Day is to recall the sacrifices of those who gave all and the families they left behind.

My great hope is that we realize such sacrifices aren't necessary and cease asking for them.
ufg8rjim
ufg8rjim

Back to top Go down

Post by CuylerLady Wed May 29, 2013 12:52 pm

I see where you're coming from. I just want to let every one know I appreciate them daily, not just once a year.

CuylerLady

Back to top Go down

Post by ufg8rjim Wed May 29, 2013 2:49 pm

CuylerLady wrote:I see where you're coming from. I just want to let every one know I appreciate them daily, not just once a year.

Great perspective. And one that I think it actually pretty commonly shared by most Americans. I just don't want anything to overshadow what Memorial Day is really about.
ufg8rjim
ufg8rjim

Back to top Go down

Post by CuylerLady Wed May 29, 2013 5:23 pm

ufg8rjim wrote:
CuylerLady wrote:I see where you're coming from. I just want to let every one know I appreciate them daily, not just once a year.

Great perspective. And one that I think it actually pretty commonly shared by most Americans. I just don't want anything to overshadow what Memorial Day is really about.

I'd hate if I let this day go by without mentioning my nephew, and something happening to him.

CuylerLady

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum