The Gator Board v2.0
Please login

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Gator Board v2.0
Please login
The Gator Board v2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» Game song (I didn't forget!)
Death Penalty  EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 8:42 am by CuylerLady

» Game day song (A day early)
Death Penalty  EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 9:40 am by CuylerLady

» Game day song (A day early)
Death Penalty  EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 9:09 pm by CuylerLady

» GATOR COUNTRY
Death Penalty  EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 11:35 am by CuylerLady

» Truth About Urban
Death Penalty  EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 8:17 am by ufg8rjim

» Monday's song
Death Penalty  EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 9:51 am by CuylerLady

» Friday's song
Death Penalty  EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 10:15 am by CuylerLady

» Wednesday's song
Death Penalty  EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 7:27 pm by CuylerLady

» Sound familiar?
Death Penalty  EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 9:14 am by ufg8rjim

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Death Penalty

5 posters

Go down

Death Penalty  Empty Death Penalty

Post by G8rInMS Fri May 10, 2013 12:20 pm

I'll take the honor of submitting the first divisive topic in this new era.

My views have changed over the years for several reasons, mostly faith based. But I no longer agree with the death penalty these days. My Christian view just doesn't support the eye for an eye mentality.

That said, I'm very understanding for those that hold a different view. What do you think?

G8rInMS

Back to top Go down

Death Penalty  Empty Re: Death Penalty

Post by FriendlyGator Fri May 10, 2013 12:25 pm

I'm torn, to be honest. The board which must not be named had an opinion that God has divined the government to make these decisions in His name and His honor. I don't agree with that philosophy, especially considering we are open to critiquing the government and our leaders.

Ok, that all being said, I think it depends on the situation. For the most part, I think everyone deserves a chance to make amends and change their lives. On the contrary, we have people blowing themselves up based on their religion. If their ultimate goal was death of themselves, I see no harm or foul in helping them with their jihad sans innocent lives being compromised.
FriendlyGator
FriendlyGator

Back to top Go down

Post by G8rInMS Fri May 10, 2013 12:50 pm

Fair enough my man. I've been torn on the subject for some time now...years in fact. So I deffinitely understand the validity of each argument.

I always enjoy seeing those instances where a victim's family may read a statement in the courtroom urging the judge to withdraw the death penalty. To me, it shows compassion and forgiveness to those don't necessarily deserve to be forgiven. It's those times where I love humanity. Cool

G8rInMS

Back to top Go down

Post by FriendlyGator Fri May 10, 2013 12:56 pm

I love seeing that too. It's an extremely hard decision to make, especially given the usual circumstances as to why they have to make it. It really takes someone special to forgive like that.
FriendlyGator
FriendlyGator

Back to top Go down

Post by He15man Fri May 10, 2013 6:13 pm

If you're the person who got murdered, you don't have a second chance to make amends so why should the person who committed the crime be given a second chance?

Murder isn't like any other crime, because you can never re pay it back like you could if you stole a bunch of money or robbed somebody. Once you kill that person, that's it for them.

I support the death penalty for a few reasons

1. You kill somebody, you should be killed for it. You robbed that person of their life so you should be robbed of yours as well

2. Cost. It's too expensive to lock somebody up for a life time and feed them.

3. Inhumane - To me locking somebody up in a concrete structure with a toilet and a bed is almost like torture. Day in and day out locked in the same building for the rest of your life. Ive always thought that locking somebody up was a form of painless torture but it's the only way we have to punish people and deter them from committing crimes. Locking somebody up for their rest of their life, it just seems like killing them is the right thing to do.

4. Where was god when that Innocent person was murdered? He wasn't there to prevent it, so he shouldn't be there when we serve up justice.
He15man
He15man

Back to top Go down

Post by CuylerLady Sat May 11, 2013 9:38 am

For some folk, I say throw the switch, push the plunger, drop the trapdoor. Case by case, for me.

CuylerLady

Back to top Go down

Post by ufg8rjim Sat May 11, 2013 3:31 pm

I say it is never the right of a person or a state to take a life. I once supported the death penalty in my youth, but no longer. It is unfairly applied against minorities and there is no doubt in my mind that we have put innocent men to death. If there is ever a chance of killing 1 innocent person, I can't support ever killing any person regardless of how heinous their crimes may have been.

Here's a good article that might give you a perspective you hadn't considered:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ufg8rjim
ufg8rjim

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 11, 2013 3:41 pm

He15man, totally agree with you

Back to top Go down

Post by ufg8rjim Sat May 11, 2013 3:50 pm

He15man wrote:If you're the person who got murdered, you don't have a second chance to make amends so why should the person who committed the crime be given a second chance?

Murder isn't like any other crime, because you can never re pay it back like you could if you stole a bunch of money or robbed somebody. Once you kill that person, that's it for them.

1. You kill somebody, you should be killed for it. You robbed that person of their life so you should be robbed of yours as well

3. Inhumane - To me locking somebody up in a concrete structure with a toilet and a bed is almost like torture. Day in and day out locked in the same building for the rest of your life. Ive always thought that locking somebody up was a form of painless torture but it's the only way we have to punish people and deter them from committing crimes. Locking somebody up for their rest of their life, it just seems like killing them is the right thing to do.

4. Where was god when that Innocent person was murdered? He wasn't there to prevent it, so he shouldn't be there when we serve up justice.

1. Why do black men face the death penalty at such a disproportionate rate? If you should get killed, why do we only kill if you are black?

2. You've actually got the cost backwards. Because of the tremendous legal fees involved in death penalty cases and the subsequent mandatory appeals, it is actually much more expensive to execute someone.

3. Life imprisonment without parole may be a tougher penalty. All the more reason to use it instead of the death penalty I think.

4. No argument from me that religion shouldn't be used against the death penalty, but it is commonly the other way around. Religious people tend to favor the death penalty.

And again - are you willing to have a death penalty if it means a certain number of innocent people will die because of it?
ufg8rjim
ufg8rjim

Back to top Go down

Post by He15man Sat May 11, 2013 9:59 pm

ufg8rjim wrote:
He15man wrote:If you're the person who got murdered, you don't have a second chance to make amends so why should the person who committed the crime be given a second chance?

1. Why do black men face the death penalty at such a disproportionate rate? If you should get killed, why do we only kill if you are black?

2. You've actually got the cost backwards. Because of the tremendous legal fees involved in death penalty cases and the subsequent mandatory appeals, it is actually much more expensive to execute someone.

3. Life imprisonment without parole may be a tougher penalty. All the more reason to use it instead of the death penalty I think.

4. No argument from me that religion shouldn't be used against the death penalty, but it is commonly the other way around. Religious people tend to favor the death penalty.

And again - are you willing to have a death penalty if it means a certain number of innocent people will die because of it?

I don't know about the black issue, but if I were innocent and stuck in prison for the rest of my life or being put to death, i would rather be put to death.

Why spend the rest of your life locked up in Prison?

He15man
He15man

Back to top Go down

Post by ufg8rjim Sat May 11, 2013 10:45 pm

If the wrong person is in prison when we discover our mistake, we can let them out. If we've already decided to kill them, it's sort of too late.
ufg8rjim
ufg8rjim

Back to top Go down

Post by FriendlyGator Mon May 13, 2013 11:37 am

There's a case in Mississippi right now where the evidence supports that a black man is innocent, but the Ms courts refuse to acknowledge the evidence and still sending him to death row.
FriendlyGator
FriendlyGator

Back to top Go down

Post by ufg8rjim Mon May 13, 2013 11:47 am

FriendlyGator wrote:There's a case in Mississippi right now where the evidence supports that a black man is innocent, but the Ms courts refuse to acknowledge the evidence and still sending him to death row.

Believe you are referring to the case of Willie Manning who was convicted of murder despite no physical evidence linking him to the crime. He has continually professed his innocence and asked for DNA testing to be done on evidence connected to the crime that was never tested. Unbelievably, the state Supreme Court actually voted against testing the evidence and gave it's approval to proceed with the execution in separate votes. Thankfully, a stay was issued last week by the court.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ufg8rjim
ufg8rjim

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum